Potato salad recipe
My go-to recipe for traditional, creamy, zesty, Southern potato salad.
For years and years, I’ve been getting requests from many of you for a traditional, ultra-creamy, mustardy, pickle-y, homemade potato salad recipe (Crew Mayo!) here on the blog. At the exact same time, I’ve been receiving requests from many other people of you (Group Don’t-Wanna-Come-Anyplace-Near-Mayo) for a zippy, savory, simple potato salad recipe that you make without having inviting Miracle Whip to the celebration.
Well this week, all potato salad eaters are welcome right here on the weblog, simply because I have — not 1, not two, but — 3 brand new potato salad recipes to share with you! Generally, a potato salad for absolutely everyone!! I have large hopes that a single of these three recipes will turn into your new go-to this season, so keep tuned to see which one will be your select. But as for right now, I’m kicking off this series by returning to my Midwestern roots by sharing the traditional potato salad recipe that reigned supreme at the thousand church basement potlucks of my childhood…
…this traditional, creamy, Southern potato salad.
It will permanently be the very first version that comes to mind when I hear the words “potato salad.” And if you also grew up with this dish in your life, you know specifically what we’re operating with right here — hearty potatoes, difficult-boiled eggs, celery, onion, and pickle relish (optional, or not, based on who you inquire). Plus a rich and creamy sauce that is spiked with mustard, celery salt, vinegar, and paprika. And — yep — an unapologetically mega scoop of mayo or Miracle Whip.
There are of program all kinds of other exciting substances you can add in (hello, bacon). And I’ve also included substances below for how you can customize your very own potato salad recipe with various seasonings or lighten it up a bit with some creamy options to mayo. But nonetheless you make yours, this traditional recipe is guaranteed to be complete, nostalgic, creamy comfort food.
So if you’re on Crew Mayo, grab a jar and let’s make a batch with each other!
Potato Salad Elements:
Alright, let’s speak substances! To make this Southern potato salad recipe, you will need to have:
I recommend sprinkling your potato salad with smoked paprika or Previous Bay seasoning just prior to serving, to give it an extra pop of colour and taste. Or feel free to also garnish your potato salad with egg (added challenging-boiled eggs), chopped fresh herbs (chives, dill, parsley, etc.), or a sprinkle of bacon.
How To Make Potato Salad:
Here’s how to make the ideal potato salad recipe — it’s so easy!
- Cook the potatoes: Dice your potatoes into big chunks. Then include them to a huge stockpot and cover with generously-salted cold water, and cook right up until the potatoes are tender. Drain the potatoes in a colander, return them to the pot, drizzle with vinegar and allow great whilst you put together the rest of the elements.
- Prep the sauce: Meanwhile, whisk with each other the mayo, celery salt, mustard and pickle relish in a medium bowl till evenly mixed.
- Toss almost everything with each other: Once the potatoes are ready to go, include in the mayo mixture, diced eggs, celery and onion. Toss gently till evenly combined.
- Season: Taste and season with salt and pepper, to taste. (Also really feel totally free to include in a tablespoon or two of pickle juice if you would like.)
- Chill: Transfer the potato salad to a serving bowl, cover, and refrigerate for 1-2 hours to chill. Then serve chilled, topped with your sought after garnishes.
Potato Salad Recipe Variations:
There are so several methods to customize this potato salad recipe, so come to feel cost-free to experiment and see what you love most! For example, you could…
More Make-Ahead Salad Recipes:
Searching for more make-ahead salad inspiration for summertime? Right here are a couple of much more favored recipes: